The brighter side of life
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t how hard you hit; it’s about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that!” ~Rocky Balboa
I know I kinda lost it the past few days. I’m slightly traumatized, so it happens every now and again. I try to learn from it each time and work through those issues, and if thats not possible, then learn to identify the warning signs. Like I said, it wasn’t just one thing, it was everything being thrown at me at once…it was being a week behind and feeling like I couldn’t take the alone time I need to sort through things. I’m sure that’ll be an issue when I’m an intern and the hospital owns me, but I’ll learn to deal when I get there. I always do…
So I’ve been working through my drama…
1) Tonight I went to the SOMA Winetasting. I had to drag myself there but being with friends (and the six glasses of wine) really perked me up. While I was there I talked with our Hematology/Oncology professor candidly about BRCA testing, cancer prophylaxis, etc. So now that I have an idea of how such things are handled, I can look at this a bit more pragmatically. I definitely will find a way to get the testing, and no matter what, definitely being more aggressively proactive in this.
2) I am almost done with Principles (like 3 left) and tomorrow I start on Path.
3) Balance transfer came in!
4) Ya, the boards are still out there, but between Peacock’s advice (& Goljan CD) of studying along with classes, and Raymon’s idea of studying “off in tangents”, I think I’ll be set. I’ll get on that by this weekend after I’ve gotten a bit more caught up in class.
5) Haven’t checked my peds grade yet, I’ll keep ya updated.
6) People might still be cranky, but you know, I realized something by skipping a week of school…I don’t need to go! Avoidance=a simple solution. However, I’m not a total hermit, I’ve still been hanging with my Katie & P.
7) Josh and I had a series of talks, the most effective one being after the Winetasting when I was calmer and thinking a bit more clearly, the wine & talk with the professor having chilled me out. Its all good.
8)I’ve decided embrace my sleep schedule. After all, it allows me to be up with Josh when he gets home, then we sleep in together. I also think better at night. I’ve always been a night owl. And now that I’m feeling better, and I have been eating better throughout this, I have the energy to get back to working out. I made a couple of first-year friends at convo and they turned me onto step & pilates, I’ll try to join them soon.